Thursday, May 28, 2009

I Capture the Castle



I suppose if I had ever read The Hundred and One Dalmations I would already have been familiar with author Dodie Smith, but such was not the case. Having only watched the Disney adaptation as a child, her name sadly didn't register anything upon reflection. You see, I "met" her casually one evening whilst skimming through recommended summer reading paperbacks on a generously heaped Barnes and Noble table. The coverwork initially grabbed my attention, as it seemed to suggest another time or place. What kept my attention was that J.K. Rowling (yes, of Harry Pottter laude) so highly recommended this book as a "favorite". "Enough said", I thought, "cool cover art and an amazing recommendation is more than I usually get. Sold." And you guys, that was the beginning of a wonderful little time for me--as I hope it will be for you as well.

This book was written about 60 years ago, as more astute readers will recognise in certain stereotypes casually mentioned as you read the book. To me, it was a charming throw-back to how things used to be. Women were certainly not very liberated at the time or in that place, which makes Cassandra's family more quirky and fun against such a drab background. Think of Alice's family in"You Can't Take it with You", and you'll about have it.

More than anything else I can tell you as you begin this book, I will tell you that it was not what I was expecting after having read the back cover. The depth of experiences and character motivations really drew me in in ways I couldn't have anticipated. To say I related to more things than not in this book would be a supreme understatement.

Forgive what you may find to be the mildly slow beginning and give this book a chance. I'll be particularly interested to hear what Ben and my Dad think of this book, as male readers. Is this a story that also appeals to men? I'd sincerely like to know.

Also, to me, in a perfect reading world, we would be able to refrain from completely judging characters' actions by our own set of adopted morals. These characters are not LDS or religious, but they are good people going through life and facing interesting, often challenging situations. As you read, I would be curious to hear if some of the character's actions make you think less of them because we as religiously based family members would possibly have chosen other than they do? I am not talking about anything too scandalous, don't worry. Remember this is the author of The Hundred and One Dalmations, afterall! I'm talking more about pyschological pressures and decisions than anything else;you'll know the parts I'm talking about when you get to 'em...!

And with that little teaser, I will bid you adieu and Happy Reading! Thank you for taking part in this month's reading assignment. I look forward to talking with all of you soon! (Oh, and I have a copy I am willing to send if anyone needs it.)


Love,
Autumn


P.S. Do you think this book inspired J.K. Rowling to use a castle setting in her novels as well?

3 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this! It sounds like a very good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read it! Loved it! Some of it was so familiar. I knew when some very-not-obvious things were about to happen. Some of it was a complete surprise. So I'm still not sure if I've ever read it before. I'll assume not, for now. But I've read about three books since then and need to get ready for July. What's it going to be? Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still haven't gotten a copy of this novel. We mean to. But then, we mean to do lots of stuff. We really will try to get to it sooner or later. If Aubey likes it and J.K. Rowling likes it, then it has to be OK.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete