Friday, May 1, 2009

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

So here it is the 1st of May and I'm finally choosing my book. Not because I haven't been thinking about it, I just have a REALLY hard time making up my mind when I'm choosing books for book club. I seriously considered choosing The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King which I have read and really enjoyed. It is a mystery about Sherlock Holmes and his new young apprentice, Mary Russell. I have never read any of the original Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and I have been really curious about them ever since. So I'm going to drag you all along with me! (hahahaha) Hopefully you don't mind too much. I thought I'd start with the first book of Sherlock Holmes short stories entitled The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The were originally published as single stories in Strand Magazine from July 1891 to June 1892 and were then compiled and published in a book in October of 1892. You can buy the book very cheaply at Amazon or Half.com. Or you can read them for free online at Wikipedia, Project Gutenberg, Page By Page Books, or Google. Or you can even listen to them at Books Should Be Free, Project Gutenberg, Audio Book Treasury, Disc Shelf, or Learn Out Loud. As you can see we have lots of options for this book. Hope you enjoy!

P.S. Lyns, I'm still working on your book. Sorry! I'll comment on it as soon as I finish it.

4 comments:

  1. We have two complete Sherlock Holmes collections. How many of the stories did you propose to read in one month? There's a lot of reading there, but they're all fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes contains 12 short stories. They are:

    A Scandal in Bohemia
    The Red-Headed League
    A Case of Identity
    The Boscombe Valley Mystery
    The Five Orange Pips
    The Man with the Twisted Lip
    The adventure of the Blue Carbuncle
    The Adventure of the Speckled Band
    The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb
    The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor
    The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
    The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

    I'm just going to start reading and see how far I get. Could be all 12 or even more, or it might only be 3. I'll see how it goes. Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try to get one this weekend. Sounds like I could get through it in a week or two. I'm kinda excited! Never read Doyle before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'll ever be able to pick a book for our club. It would be like picking a favorite movie. No way!

    ReplyDelete